Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Library Haul #3

From the Melbourne City Library.




An unexpected day off due to my mildly incompetent manager but a welcomed one.
I woke up exhausted. I always do.


DVD:
Heartbreaker
Amelie

CD:
5:55

Books:
Digital SLR All-in-One For Dummies
Swiss Watching by Diccon Bewes


A quick review of Swiss Watching:


I pounced on Swiss Watching with excitement because for quite awhile, in the back of my mind, I'd been pondering on the fact that Switzerland is a country you never hear about in the news. An enigmatic beautiful country. Also, another strange thing is that I've never met a Swiss person. 


This book immediately brought to mind how important font is. The font of this book does not make me take it seriously. I can't explain it. I know that sounds stupid but the overall impression is that the font trivialises the writing of the book. It dumbs it down for me. There is a cute nugget of a sentence. 'And, after all, pineapple and coconut together make a great pina colada. ' but I just shrugged mentally but then immediately wondered if I would have appreciated it more if it were presented to me in a different setting. 


In the end, the book didn't quite grab and hold my interest. I flipped through it rather quickly.The font had a small part in that but mostly I found the writing would have better suited perhaps a travel magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment