Sunday, April 29, 2012

TLC Update Sunday #1

I've decided to start a weekly Sunday update/audit/review of how well I followed the Therapeutic Lifestyle Change (TLC) program from The Depression Cure book by Dr. Illardi

This is only a partial update as I only started reading the book last week. 

Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Last Thursday (April 26th), I recieved the Green Pastures Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil and Fermented Cod Liver Oil (BO/CLO for short) blend; 3 of the Cinnamon Tingle and 1 of the Chocolate Cream. 








I recieved the Ohhira Professional Probiotic capsules (OPP) I ordered about a day before. I know this isn't an omega 3 fatty acid but my mother was told by a doctor when I was a baby that I did not have enough healthy gut flora and so I needed to take probiotics.


As an aside and for semi-scientific purposes, I am currently only taking the BO/CLO and OPP and Zyflammend. No extra Vit-D, no green-lipped mussel extract, no EPO, CoQ10....well you get the picture. 

So far I've taken 8 doses of Green Pastures BO/CLO, 1/2 tsp morning and night and I've taken 10 capsules of the OPP. 

I found the BO/CLO in Cinnamon Tingle surprisingly easy to take. I put the bottle in the fridge where it solidified into a warm brown colored paste. I scoop it up with a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon and scrape it against the side to level it and because it is so small and soft, it goes down whole easily especially when I follow it with a swig of milk which I swish around my mouth to remove any lingering oils on my tongue.
Occasionally, I have had a rather rank whiff or taste around my lips if I haven't been careful not to touch it with my lips but more often than not, I find it faintly and pleasantly cinnamony.




Mmmmmm....yummy


I hope the Chocolate Cream proves as nice. 

How did I choose Green Pastures? 
I read a blog article http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/02/the-single-best-product-evah-for-your-skin-is-not-in-fact-an-actual-skincare-product/ where the author wrote about the positive effect this product had on her skin. As I had been experiencing a very similar crisis to hers (I had also tried the Oil Cleansing Method and my chin and cheeks had exploded into a disfiguring cystic pimply rash and I was desperate to try anything that would heal my skin fast). 


It's too early to comment on any mental aspects but I will continue taking 1 tsp daily for 1 month and then try increasing it to 1 1/2 tsp daily.

To me, some downsides: 
Green Pastures touts the fact that they are only naturally fermented cod liver oil product on the market and being naturally fermented, they can only give approximate figures on how much DHA and EPA are contained in each serving. So I am not sure if I am getting enough DHA/EPA in the right rations as per Dr. Illardi's book. 

Some of the blurb on the bottle and website just sounds downright hokey and full of New Age earnestness. 
I mean listen to this:

HISTORICALLY SACRED FOOD
During his travels around the world, Dr. Weston A. Price came across cultures that were strong of mind, body, and spirit; he noticed the relationship between their extraordinary well-being and the sacred and natural foods they consumed. 

Uh-huh, yeah, sure. Do you mean the native people of this world who in almost every single country have the highest levels of infant mortality and highest rates of diabetes, heart disease and renal failure and overwhelming social issues with drug and alcohol abuse? Maybe Dr. Weston encountered cultures that hadn't been touched by western culture, way back when....


Lastly, the expense but I would rather keep buying this if it works rather than an antidepressant.

So it's been about four days and I haven't noticed anything great happening with my skin. In fact, it's kind of getting worse. Still breaking out with fresh pimples, still that awful blotchy red-purple post-acne scarring everywhere....

The OPP is harder to take despite being conveniently encapsuled and not needing to be refrigerated because the capsules are meant to be taken an hour before food or an hour and a half after food. 
As I believe Jeffrey Steingarten, bon vivant, and writer of The Man Who Ate Everything noted when he had to take some medication with similar rules, that he found it terribly difficult to take because his stomach was rarely empty. I am much the same. 
As soon as I am awake, I like to eat otherwise I get strong stomach pains that persist much like colic if I don't head it off in time and I am too distracted an hour and a half to remember to take it. I suppose I should try.

I have been trying to take the capsule as soon as I wake up and then have a lie down in bed for another half an hour and distract myself with ablutions for the next fifteen minutes so that the capsule has had at least forty-five minutes to make its way down. 

Exercise
Today I walked home from work. That took about 30 minutes and that is pretty much the only exercise I did all week.

As for:
sunlight exposure
engaging activity
social support
sleep

I still need to read those chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment